At Delighters we recognize the urgent need to address climate change, and this informs every aspect of our decision-making and operations. Here’s how we consider the climate emergency in our management practices:
- Sustainable design: Our costumes and sets are a mix of our own designs, some altered ready made or second hand clothing, created into a unique and wide range of garments in our wardrobe. Whenever possible we re-use or alter existing costumes and materials for sets. We prioritize natural fabrics if possible, and buying locally manufactured items rather than shipping them from abroad. We work with local costume designers who work by the same ethos. Our unused items are donated to Social Circus charities, or go to recycling.
- Waste Reduction: We implement waste reduction strategies, such as using reusable or compostable materials for sets/costumes/event signage. We don’t sell merchandise, reducing the carbon-footprint of manufacturing and avoiding waste later.
- Reducing emissions for fire shows: For our fire performances we bulk-buy a low odour fuel called Isopar / Shellsol. These being a much clearer fuel they emit less fumes than Paraffin/Kerosene which are normally used in the industry. We recommend using this fuel for other companies too, to reduce the effects of fumes on performers health and the environment.
We squeeze dipped equipment thoroughly and use “spin off buckets” to gather excess fuel, tarpaulins to protect the ground and we operate a Leave No Trace policy.
We do not do or allow fire breathing due to its environmental and health impact.
We operate on limited performance times for fire shows, capped at a maximum of 60 minutes per event.
- Energy Efficiency: For our own events we actively seek venues with energy-efficient lighting, heating, and cooling systems to minimize energy consumption during events. We also encourage the use of LED lighting for performances, which is more energy-efficient than traditional lighting options. We offer to provide our own battery operated LED lights and PA system for small venues / outdoor events.
- Transportation: We promote sustainable transportation options for our team and attendees. This includes encouraging the use of public transportation, cycling and carpooling when possible. For artists traveling to our events, we coordinate transportation and group performers and crew to as few vehicles as possible to minimize emissions.
We prioritise working with local artists.
- Digital Marketing and Ticketing: To reduce paper waste, we prioritize digital marketing and ticketing for our events, minimizing the need for printed materials.
- Regular Assessment: We regularly assess and update our environmental practices to ensure that we are aligning with the latest sustainability standards and best practices.
- Transparency: We share information about our sustainability efforts and provide tips on reducing personal carbon footprints on our website. We aim to inspire eco-friendly behaviours among our attendees and the local artist community
- Feedback Integration: We welcome feedback from team members, artists, and attendees regarding our sustainability initiatives. This feedback informs our efforts to continually improve and adapt our practices. Please do get in touch to share your feedback.
In conclusion, we are dedicated to reducing our environmental impact, raising awareness about climate change, and actively working toward a more sustainable future. Our commitment to addressing the climate crisis extends to every aspect of our event planning and execution.